Right now, cauliflower is freshest it will be all year here on the east coast. My mom made cauliflower rice last night with Italian cauliflower, or “Romanesco.” On display they look like beautiful vibrant green Christmas trees. This recipe calls for anchovies. According to my mom, “Cauliflower and anchovies marry like Gisele and Tom Brady.” I’ll take her word for it because this recipe is delicious! If you don’t like anchovies, you can omit and this dish is still very flavorful with the olive oil and browned onions.
This recipe is quick, easy and a great substitute for rice if you’re looking for a great low carb healthy recipe. This version has about 1/3 of the carbohydrates in rice. Mangia!
· 1 large head of cauliflower or 2 small
· 1 tsp chopped ginger
· 1 medium onion chopped
· 2 cloves of garlic chopped
· 2 anchovy filets ( my mom likes the brand in the glass jar at the store with the small metal fork are the best)
· 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
· 2 TBSP chopped parsley
· 2 TBSP chopped scallions
· 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
· Cut cauliflower nectarine size pieces, de-core. Chop in food processor to rice consistency.
· Meanwhile, add olive oil to skillet or large wok. Sauté onions, garlic, anchovies and ginger for about 8 minutes. When soft, add "cauliflower rice." Saute another 3-5 minutes.
· Finish with chopped parsley, scallions, lemon juice. Fluff “rice” with fork and serve warm.