My brother made this in Welfleet Bay, Cape Cod last week as a side dish to fresh baked halibut. It was outstanding. Packed with greens, nutrients, and antioxidants, you’re body will thank you after.
· One large bunch of finely chopped kale
· One large head of romaine lettuce, finely chopped
· 5 large carrots shredded
· 4 radishes cut into finely chopped disks
· 2 beets finely diced
· 1 avocado, cleaned and finely diced
· 1 green apple finely diced
· 1 plum finely diced
· 3 TBSP of fresh lemon juice
· ½ cup good quality Italian olive oil
· 3 TBSP cup of good quality balsamic vinegar (I like the thick syrupy kind, my favorite brand is Gemma Nera from Italy).
· 1 garlic clove finely minced
· 1/2 TSSP sea salt
· 1 TSSP fresh ground pepper
1. Add kale, lemon juice and salt to large mixing bowl and gently massage with hands. This will help tenderize and break down the fibrous structure of kale, which will make eating a lot easier.
2. Once kale is tenderized, add the rest of the chopped vegetables and fruit to mixing bowl.
3. Once vegetables are combined, make the dressing. Combine 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 1 clove minced garlic, ½ teaspoon of kosher salt, ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, ½ cup of olive oil.
4. Lastly, add dressing to salad and mix thoroughly until salad is evenly coated. Serve immediately.