This is one of my favorite warming meals, packed with bright red bell peppers, cancer fighting onions, garlic, fennel, and a pinch of red pepper flakes for a kick. Did you know one red bell pepper has more vitamin C than an orange?! I used organic and all natural bell and evans turkey sausage instead of pork. Healthier and less fat. Pair with a piece of crusty Italian bread and you’ve got a delicious meal for days. My Maternal grandmother“Nonna” used to make this for my mom to bring to school back in the 60’s.. tried and true Italian classic. Mangia!
- 1/3 cup EVOO
- 1.25 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage ( about 4 or 5 sausages)
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (Muir glen or san marzano)
- ½ tsp of crushed fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2.3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, leave some whole leaves for presentation at the end
- 1 loaf of Italian crusty bread
Heat Oil in large skillet over low to medium heat. Add sausages and cook until browned on each side about 9-11 minutes. Add peppers, onions, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and cook for 7 more minutes. Then add fennel, oregano, and garlic and cook for2 more minutes on low heat. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and cook for 25 minutes on low heat, until sauce becomes thickened and aromatic. Serve in large soup bowls with warm crusty bread. Top with fresh basil and serve immediately.