This is one of my favorite comfort foods on a cold day. There’s something about stuffed artichokes that warms your soul. An italian staple. Healthy and delicious. Simply divine.
1. 6-8 large globe artichokes
2. 2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
3. 1 1/2 cups of Pecorino Romano Cheese
4. 1 large bunch of Parsley
5. 1 large egg
6. 2 garlic cloves, minced
7. Juice of 1 large lemon
8. 1/2 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
9. 1 tbsp tomato paste
10. 1 can of crushed tomatoes ( I like Miur Glen or San Marzano canned tomatoes)
1. Prepare and clean the artichokes. Cut top off (1/2 inch) and clip all tips of leaves so leaves are flat, making room for the stuffing. Stretch artichoke so that there is adequate space between each leaf.
2. Now make the stuffing. Mix breadcrumbs, cheese, egg, garlic, olive oil, ½ cup of chopped parsley, and tomato paste in large mixing bowl. Mix thouroughly
3. Stuff each artichoke, making sure the stuffing gets between the leaves and deep in the crevices.
4. Lay each artichoke flat in deep dish non stick pan. I can usually fit 6-8 to a pan depending on size.
6. Pour layer of chicken broth on bottom of pan to ensure they don’t burn (about 1 inch of liquid. Don’t worry, it will evaporate!).
5. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 1 hour until leaves become tender
6. For the last 10 minutes, take out the artichokes and spoon 1 tablespoon of crushed tomatoes over each artichoke. Bake for another 10 mins.
7. Garnish with fresh thyme from the garden.
8. Let cool for 10 mins, and serve.