A delicious, easy, healthy breakfast that is one of my staples. Especially when you’re trying to detox, this is great to have after your morning smoothie or juice to give your digestive system a rest from heavy fats and proteins. This recipe is also extremely versatile – experiment with different fruits, nuts and milks for different flavors and textures. My husband also likes to add cacao nibs which gives him a extra boost of energy and antioxidants in the morning. Packed with healthy carbohydrates, fiber, and B vitamins, this is a breakfast you won’t want to miss.
· 1 cup rolled or steel cut oats
· 1 tablespoon coconut oil
· 2 cups full fat coconut milk or almond milk
· 1/4 cup of blueberries
· ¼ cup of raspberries or blackberries
· 1 banana sliced
· 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
· 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
· 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
· 2 tsp chopped walnuts or almonds
· 1 tsp cacao nibs (optional)
1. Place a small sauce or soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add water and oats to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat, stir occasionally, and cook for 5-7 minutes until oats reach your desired consistency.
3. Take oats off heat and spoon into to a medium sized bowl.
4. Add your coconut oil, and swirl in while still hot. Then add maple syrup, fruit, nuts, cacao nibs, milk and finish with cinnamon on top. Serve while still piping hot and enjoy!